Director, Farm Direct Program at Sustainable Food Center
Organization: Founded in 1993, with roots dating back to 1975 as Austin Community Gardens, Sustainable Food Center (SFC) is involved in every step of our local, Central Texas, food system. With our new mission to cultivate a just and regenerative food system so people and the environment can thrive, SFC is laying the groundwork for our next phase as an organization.
Job Description: The Director of SFC’s Farm Direct Program provides leadership and expertise to guide the development and implementation of strategies and projects for the department. This position currently leads a team of five people. The Program Director must be able to balance multiple priorities, navigate complex situations and work effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders. The Program Director has the overall responsibility for a project portfolio that includes weekly farmers’ markets, institutional food procurement, farm viability services, funding opportunities, and collaborative partnerships.
· Provide overall leadership to SFC’s Farm Direct Program and Staff
· Provide direction and guidance to organization’s new Farm Viability and Supply Chain initiatives, as well as to SFC Farmers’ Markets
· Develop and maintain external partner relationships and stay abreast of emerging initiatives, services and activities to inform direction and projects
· Accountable for fiscal management of the program, including managing grant funding; responsible for creating, monitoring and possessing a thorough understanding of program budget
· Establish key objectives for the bi-annual operational plan and budget in alignment with vision roadmap
· Lead program input for reports and grant proposals; oversee grant deliverables for program
· Provide support, direction and coaching to supervisees
· Review and approve annual employee goals
Monitor trends in regenerative agriculture at the local, state and federal level
· Provide stories, data and content for use on website, appeals, funding proposals, projects and general public information
Minimum five to seven years of experience in food systems, nutrition, and/or agriculture, including personnel management and partnership building
Proven success overseeing a business or program, including the ability to expand and grow a program
Comfort building working relationships, establishing credibility in new areas of work and mobilizing people at all levels towards collaborative goals
Ability to initiate, prioritize, and coordinate projects and follow through to completion, or be flexible when priorities change; ability to multi-task
Adept at building collaborative, external relationships and demonstrating diplomacy with diverse constituencies, including food producers, intermediaries, institutions and elected officials
Excellent verbal and written communication skills; active listening
Demonstrated ability to provide effective and timely leadership decisions
Commitment to SFC’s new mission and vision
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution required. Advanced degree in related field preferred.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Position is based SFC’s office in Austin, TX
Occasional travel to rural areas in Texas required
Occasional night and weekend hours required
SFC is an equal opportunity employer and values racial, gender, and cultural equity on our staff and in our community. In fulfillment of our commitment to racial diversity among our staff, we strongly encourage people of color to apply. This is a full-time position at 40 hours per week. SFC offers a flexible work environment, competitive salaries and great benefits. The salary band for Director-level positions is $45K-$68K depending on responsibilities and qualifications. Starting salary will be influenced by budget considerations. The position is available starting November 1, 2019.
How to Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter in either MS Word or PDF format to email@example.com. Applications are due by midnight on Sunday October 6th. No phone calls accepted nor returned.