Schoolyard Roots in Tuscaloosa, AL is currently searching for a Development Fellow!
Join an energetic team that is passionate about building a better community through food.
Who We Are: Schoolyard Roots (SYR) is a nonprofit located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Using an innovative garden-based curriculum, our programs connect over 4,000 students to their food, gets them moving, and makes learning fun. We believe that access to fresh, affordable, and sustainably grown food is a universal right and that our students learn best when they put their knowledge into practice.
The Development Fellow is integral to making our programs possible & successful.
You will work with our highly skilled Development Team to raise funds for the organization. In this position, you will assist with grant writing, direct appeal writing, and donor communication. You will also be critical to ensuring the success of our annual fundraiser, The Garden Party, a community event we host to raise awareness and funds.
What you’ll do:
· Work with Schoolyard Roots staff to research and write grants
· Assist with direct mail appeals, coordinating and overseeing list integration, organization, mailing, and reporting
· Research and cultivate potential donors, mining data in the Schoolyard Roots donor management system to design strategy and tailor requests
· Assist with donor communication and stewardship, ensuring donors stay informed of their investment
· Help oversee and implement the Schoolyard Roots annual fundraiser, The Garden Party, annual Donor Appreciation Event, and other events as needed, including managing volunteers, working with an event planner, and ensuring smooth operations
What we look for:
We are looking for staff members who can actively help us achieve our goal of bringing a garden to every school in Alabama. Additionally, strong candidates will demonstrate the following:
· Believe in making our community a better place, through food
· Undergraduate degree
· Strong writing skills
· Strong communications skills and the ability to work with diverse groups of people
· Able to oversee multiple projects concurrently and remain organized
· Be self-motivated and able to work independently
· Extremely detail-oriented
· Comfortable with Microsoft Excel and Word
Duration and Compensation:
This is a collaboration between Schoolyard Roots and the AmeriCorps VISTA program through the Corporation for National and Community Service. This is a one-year, full-time position. Fellows will receive an AmeriCorps Vista Allowances Package.
Send Resume, Cover Letter, and Writing Sample to email@example.com
For more information about Schoolyard Roots Fellowships and what we do, visit:
For more information about AmeriCorps VISTA positions, visit: