The University of Arkansas Center for Farm and Food System Entrepreneurship is seeking a Farm Manager /Farm Educator (1 FTE) to join our team to support a newly established experiential learning, farm training school. The UA-CFFSE was developed to support and enhance local and regional food systems in Arkansas by shaping the next generation of farmers. The UA-CFFSE uses sustainable, regenerative production methods for fruits and vegetables as well as greenhouse production on two scales of production.
The farm manager will manage 4 acres of specialty crop production on multiple scales as well as work with the Center team to provide in-field education. Applicants should be a team player with strong communication skills and recognize the value and hard work necessary in developing local and regional food systems.
Position is time-limited, ending December 31, 2023, with the potential for continuation. Other team members include UA faculty and staff and as well as 3 primary regional partners.
Summary of Job Duties
Managing diversified crop production on multiple scales:
1. Lead crop planning, manage labor needs, and crop production and harvest.
2. Lead a plan for crop planting, maintain and enhancing soil health, irrigation, pest management, and harvesting.
3. Plan seasonal through daily activities and manage student workers.
4. Maintain and adjust farm equipment as needed.
5. Keep updated crop production records in Excel or Google Sheets or farm management software.
Educating student farmers, in-field:
1. Train and lead student farmers in the application of sustainable farm production practices.
2. Integrate the crop production plan activities into the educational modules when possible.
3. Participate in the educational team meetings.
Also participate in team meetings to review, discuss and guide Center activities, farm education plans and farm production plans; Serve as a program representative in the community, which may occasionally require work on weekends or after hours. Perform other duties as assigned by project director.
Learn more: https://jobs.uark.edu/postings/37270