The Durham Farmers' Market is a dynamic market with over 65 farmers, artisans and crafters that is at the center of Durham’s local food movement. The Market operates on Saturdays year-round and Wednesdays seasonally during the warmer months at Durham Central Park in downtown Durham.
Assistant Market Manager Responsibilities
• Attending all Wednesday and Saturday markets, year-round. Market day duties include selling and maintaining inventory of DFM merchandise, assisting at the Information Table, providing courteous service to SNAP/EBT customers, posting regularly on social media, and more.
• Support for the Market Manager. The assistant manager will assist with setup, management, and breakdown of the market. In the manager’s absence, the assistant manager will perform all tasks related to running the market.
• Volunteer & Saturday Morning Ambassador coordination. Assist with maintaining and recruiting a robust network of volunteers. Also, train and supervise volunteers on market days. Assist with management of team of Saturday Morning Ambassadors.
• SNAP/Double Bucks Program Management. Process SNAP/EBT transactions at the market and ensure both customers and vendors are comfortable participating in the program. Maintain accurate data and records to assist with grant reporting and to track the program's progress. General office work includes keeping wooden tokens organized, tracking vendor reimbursement receipts, processing Farmers' Market Nutrition Program paperwork, and more. Regularly communicate with community partners for the Double Bucks program, including the Durham Department of Public Health.
• Marketing & Communications. Maintain an active social media presence for the market regarding events, products, and produce availability. Update the website as needed and write one weekly newsletter using Constant Contact. Design posters and outreach materials as needed under the guidance of the Market Manager.
• Special Events & Program Planning. Special events at the market are designed to promote vendors, educate customers, create a sense of community, and invite new customers into the market. Facilitating special events includes marketing, securing supplies, recruiting volunteers as well as setup, breakdown, and crowd control during the events.
• Customer service. Treat all customers and vendors respectfully and courteously, providing engaged and attentive customer service from start to finish of the market day.
• Other duties as assigned by market manager.
• Starts November 2019
• Be detail-oriented, dependable, and punctual
• Have an enthusiasm for produce and other products available at the market, and a passion for sharing information, recipes, and tips for cooking or food preservation
• Thrive in a fast-paced environment that requires extensive outdoor work, setup and breakdown of events, and more
• Be comfortable speaking to small groups of people about the market’s goals and programs, including the SNAP/Double Bucks program
• Have proven project and event management skills
• Proficient with word processing and spreadsheets
• Have demonstrated proficiency with various social media platforms, including Facebook and Instagram
• Have proven customer service skills and a high-energy, positive, and friendly attitude
• Conversational level of Spanish language preferred
• Farming and/or experience working at or managing a farmers market strongly desired
• A minimum of a one-year commitment preferred
The Assistant Market Manager must have:
• A computer, internet access, and a cell phone for internal staff communication and social media outreach
• Reliable transportation and a valid NC driver’s license
• The ability to lift 50 pounds
• The ability to stand/walk around at the market for 6 hours with minimal opportunities to sit down
• The ability to work outside in all weather conditions, year round
• A high school diploma (Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred)
• Salary/Compensation: $15 per hour for 35 hours per week
Application Instructions: Applicants must send a cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Charlotte Minguez, Assistant Market Manager, at email@example.com by October 18, 2019.
No phone calls, http://durhamfarmersmarket.com/