Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group
The Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group (Southern SAWG) is seeking to hire an entrepreneurial, visionary leader and fundraiser to serve as Executive Director. Southern SAWG’s mission is to increase the collective power of the sustainable agriculture movement in 13 southern states by building knowledge, awareness, and community among farmers and their key partners.
Southern SAWG has been a lead organization in the Southern region, working for the past 27 years to foster a more sustainable food and agriculture system throughout its member states – one that yields dignity and economic viability for farmers and farm workers, and provides safe and secure food for all, produced in harmony with nature. We are engaged in extensive outreach and education over a broad and diverse region, both geographically and demographically. Southern SAWG links more than 150 organizations and many individuals throughout the 13 Southern states of AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, & VA.
*Whereas the position is seen as remote, residence in one of our member states is required. Due to our large geographical coverage, the staff and contractors of Southern SAWG operate out of their home offices.
Ideal candidates for this position will:
· Provide visionary leadership to a 27-year old dynamic and growing organization in the sustainable agriculture movement;
· Be an effective fundraiser and resource developer to deliver fiscal stability and growth;
· Deliver sound fiscal management of diverse income streams;
· Be an experienced leader within a virtual and dynamic work environment that includes some travel;
· Have exceptionally strong relationship-building skills;
· Enjoy the complexity and rewards of leading a multi-faceted, regional organization covering a wide diversity of demographics and agro-ecosystems;
· Be a positive manager of a dedicated team that is comprised of diverse professional staff and contractors;
· Be able to effectively engage and work with the board of directors;
· Understand the relationship of local and regional efforts to effect systemic change in the farming and food system, particularly where resources are scarce;
· Be a vibrant communicator, delivering transparency and accountability for and within the organization; and
· Be computer literate, with proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite, Google Docs, project management software, and virtual conferencing.
For a full job description, please visit: http://www.ssawg.org/EDJobDescription.html. Southern SAWG is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every current and prospective employee. Substantial efforts are made to seek out potential candidates among women, minority groups, and individuals with disabilities.
To apply: Send a resume, a substantive cover letter highlighting why you would be good for this position and this position would be good for you, three writing samples that demonstrate the ability to write for differing audiences and handle the content with differing levels of technical detail, and contact information for three professional references to Southern SAWG Board President Joss Mohr at firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact at (207) 650-9380 for questions.
Application deadline is December 31st, 2018. Position start date is no later than March 1st, 2019