Urban Roots is a rapidly growing non-profit organization that uses food and farming to transform lives and nourish the community. On a 3 1⁄2 acre urban farm, Urban Roots provides teenagers and young adults paid service opportunities that strengthen them as leaders while building professional and life skills. In addition, Urban Roots nourishes the community-by annually engaging more than one thousand volunteers through farm work days, providing educational tours, and by donating thousands of pounds of farm-fresh produce to local hunger relief agencies.
The Guiding Principles of Urban Roots:
1. We Honor and Respect Diversity.
2. We provide a High Quality, Transformational Experience for youth and community members.
3. We celebrate “Rigor” and Meaningful, Hard Work.
4. We build Strong Relationships.
5. We cultivate Intentionality in our work.
6. We engage our work with a Spirit of Celebration and Joy.
The Urban Roots Farm Manager (FM) oversees all aspects of Urban Roots’ farm, managing all production and distribution for the spring & summer (January-July) and fall (September-December) farming seasons, and maintains the farm infrastructure and site. The primary role of the FM is to be a highly organized and efficient operations manager, using sustainable farming practices and organizational systems to manage and maintain a productive, clean, and safe community farm. The FM sets seasonal and weekly priorities and works with the Farm Specialist to ensure farm goals are met through community volunteer days led by staff and Urban Roots program participants.
Essential Job Duties:
* Create and manage a diversified crop plan of 40+ fruits, vegetables, and herbs to reach our annual goal of 25,000 lbs of produce while managing and enhancing farm health and fertility through sustainable practices.
* Ensure that UR donates 40% of the harvest to local hunger relief partners and generate $30,000 in earned revenue each year through managing produce sales to local restaurant, retail, and wholesale outlets, and through youth-run weekly farmers markets (throughout harvest/program season).
* Provide ongoing maintenance for all farm infrastructure: buildings (sheds, walk-in cooler, hoop houses), tractors, implements, small machinery, well and irrigation.
* Model and train staff, youth, and volunteers on Urban Roots sustainable farming practices.
* Keep detailed records of crop plans, evaluations, farm inventories, harvest, donations and sales projections and actuals.
* Model professional and effective communication with staff, youth, volunteers, neighbors, vendors, hunger relief partners and other community members to build strong organizational relationships.
* 2+ years of experience as a Farm Manager of a minimum 2 acre organic or sustainable farm with expertise in sustainable farming practices, an understanding of soil fertility, weed and pest management.
* Demonstrated proficiency operating, maintaining and repairing tractor, implements and small machinery (push mower, rototiller, weed eaters, chain-saw)
* Demonstrated mastery operating, maintaining and repairing a drip irrigation system and a well.
* Ability to safely drive a UPS-style box truck; have a valid TX driver’s license and clean driving record.
* Willingness to work a flexible schedule as dictated by the needs of Urban Roots youth program and farm.
We are looking for you, if:
* You possess supreme organizational skills and enjoy working independently and in a team environment.
* You are committed to justice and sustainability, have a great sense of humor, and view yourself as someone still learning and growing.
* You are willing to go above and beyond to further a mission that you believe in.
This is a full-time position and salary is commensurate with experience. The salary range is $37,000- $40,000. Benefits include paid time off, healthcare, seasonal farm fresh produce, and a fun and flexible work culture.
Submit your resume and a detailed cover letter describing why you would like to farm at a youth development organization to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Urban Roots Farm Manager” in the subject line. No Phone calls please.
Urban Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a culturally responsive and inclusive organization. People of color and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply. We will not discriminate in our hiring on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, pregnancy, mental or physical disability or political affiliation.