The Director of Communications & Member Relations reports directly to the Executive Director and is responsible for developing and guiding the strategy for all communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate the organization's vision and mission. The Director of Communications & Member Relations will ensure that the organization is viewed as the primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information within its diverse network and membership base -- including, but not limited to, black farmers and landowners, cooperatives and rural communities in the south. The Director of Communications & Member Relations will work closely with the Executive Staff and within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives, including membership engagement, tracking and development.
Please reply to: email@example.com
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across the organization's network in collaboration with the Executive Team, staff and membership.
- Lead the generation of online content that engages the membership, partners and supporters and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate.
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities.
- Manage and/or coordinate webpage maintenance-ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly.
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the membership and network over time
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual reports, e-newsletters and the organization's website.
- Play a lead role in coordinating and organizing annual meetings that engage the membership, staff, partners, supporters and the public.
- Manage all media contacts.
- Develop and manage membership contacts, baseline information and a platform to constantly engage them (the membership).
- Lead and/or support development efforts and donor relations, including proposal writing.
The Federation of Southern Cooperatives/Land Assistance Fund is seeking an accomplished Director of Communications & Member Relations who has 5-10 years of communications experience, ideally in an "in-house" leadership role within a complex social justice nonprofit and/or membership based entity, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and member & donor communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives