Small Places LLC (www.smallplaces.org) is a startup working to use agriculture to address Houston's food access and diet-related health issues. They are young farmers beginning their third year of establishing their first farm, Finca Tres Robles, in Houston’s East End.
Initially, apprentices will work side by side with the farmers but will begin to take work on their own as they grow in comfort and knowledge of the different processes of the farm.
While much of what is done on the farm may be considered simple tasks, they are important aspects of the larger, more complex systems that make up a well-run farm. Once major systems are established, the apprentice will be given the opportunity to work on a project of their choosing to help expand the functions and capabilities of the farm.
This is a unique chance for someone truly interested in the field of food and health to not only get hands on experience, but become an integral part of a working farm in the city. Passing on our knowledge and making this a space for apprentices to learn is very important and they will work with them to engage their interests in respect to the farm’s mission and work.
- Contribute to everyday activities of the farm including watering, sowing, transplanting, seeding, weeding, and supporting the farmers in various projects.
- Learn and understand the work, flow, and processes of the farm.
- Assist 1-2x a month during Markets both off and on the farm on Wednesday, Saturday or Sunday including setting up, harvesting, washing, and managing the farm stand.
- Direct and assist volunteers and other help when on the farm.
- Responsible for maintaining good record keeping practices according to company standards.
- Be committed to working at the pace of the farm.
- Various tasks as assigned.
- 4 Months (September thru December)
- 15-20 hours of work per week (Determined on a case by case basis) with 1-2 Markets/Month
- Ability to lift 50 lbs +
- Be on time and consistent, a good communicator, and have desire to learn and grow Willingness to work outdoors in Houston’s weather Speak Spanish (a plus but not required)
- $7.50/hr for 2 Week Orientation, $8/hour after Orientation
- 2-4 Farm Sponsored Excursions
- Weekly Bag of Farm Produce
To Apply: Please e-mail a resume, brief description of yourself, and what you would like to accomplish personally as a member of the farm.