The Organic Farming Research Foundation is seeking a Senior Policy Associate to coordinate legislative and regulatory campaigns that support the needs of organic farmers. This is a full-time, exempt position, eligible for benefits and based in Washington, DC. Candidates in California may be considered to work from our Santa Cruz, CA home office on a case-by-case basis.
This high-profile position offers great opportunity for the right candidate to interact with federal agencies’ staff and political officials, and to help shape the future of food and agriculture throughout the U.S. The Senior Policy Associate reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for monitoring federal policy, advocating for the needs of organic growers, and engaging farmers in the policy making process.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor federal policy (legislative and regulatory) as it pertains to organic farming.
- Champion federal support to meet the research, education, and technical needs of organic farmers.
- Represent OFRF at meetings with policy makers, partners, and grower groups.
- Develop written positions/recommendations on key policy issues.
- Cultivate political support for organic.
- Write blogs or articles about policy issues.
- Manage grassroots organizing efforts such as action alerts.
- Coordinate organic farmer engagement on policy issues.
- Keep Executive Director and staff apprised of current issues.
- Monitor and report on progress towards goals.
- Manage policy-related contacts in OFRF database.
- Work with the Policy Committee of the OFRF Board of Directors.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in federal food or agriculture policy.
- Knowledge about organic agriculture.
- Deep understanding of federal legislative and regulatory processes.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Great communication skills (listening, oral, and written).
- Proficiency with Macs and PCs, and common software applications, such as Office Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, show initiative, achieve goals, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Ability to travel to meetings and events.
- Commitment to the mission, values, and goals of the Organic Farming Research Foundation.
The mission of the Organic Farming Research Foundation (OFRF) is to foster the widespread adoption and improvement of organic farming systems. Since our founding in 1990, OFRF has sponsored organic farming research, education, outreach, and competitive grant-making programs, and has invested $3M in 332 research grants to growers and scientists throughout the United States. This work is complemented by efforts to share our findings with policy makers, agricultural institutions, and federal agencies that can use the results to implement broader change and help to advance the sector. OFRF has played a key role in shaping the U.S. Farm Bill and other public policies supporting the success of organic growers. OFRF envisions a future where organic farming is the leading form of agriculture.
Qualified candidates should send their resume, cover letter and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled.
RESEARCH PROGRAM INTERN
The Organic Farming Research Foundation is offering an opportunity for a Research Program Intern to assist in research and outreach activities at OFRF. This is a 10-20 hour per week internship that reports to the Research Associate and is based in our Santa Cruz, CA home office.
The ideal candidate will be able to work on a variety of projects and gain a valuable understanding of organic agriculture research and policy. OFRF is dedicated to providing the support and oversight necessary to make the internship a valuable opportunity to acquire experience and training.
This is not a paid position, yet credit hours and a small stipend are available. Hours are flexible.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with OFRF staff to develop educational and policy materials (such as policy briefs, blogs, and farmer guides) about the research needs of organic farmers.
- Assist in the coordination of the OFRF grantmaking program.
- Work with Communications team in editing documents for online and print media.
- Administrative tasks such as assembling addresses to send educational materials, coordinating the mailings, scheduling meetings, and supporting a webinar.
- Conduct interview reviews with previous awardees to do post award follow up.
SKILLS AND QUALITIES
- Excellent communication skills.
- Produce high quality work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Experience with Google Docs, Google Spreadsheets, Google Drive and other applications.
- Mac computer experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Office.
- Interest in organic agriculture research and policy.
To apply for this position please send a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three references to Joanna@ofrf.org.
Organic Farming Research Foundation
Mailing address: P.O. Box 440, Santa Cruz, CA 95061
Physical address: 303 Potrero Street, Suite 29-203, Santa Cruz, CA 95060