Organization: Sustainable Food Center (SFC) is a community-based organization that cultivates a healthy community by strengthening the local food system and improving access to affordable, nutritious food. From seed to table, SFC creates opportunities for individuals to make healthy food choices and to participate in a vibrant local food system. Through organic food gardening, relationships with area farmers, interactive cooking classes and nutrition education, children and adults have increased access to locally grown food and are empowered to improve the long-term health of Central Texans and our environment.
Job Description: SFC is seeking a creative, knowledgeable and hard-working individual to guide SFC’s evolving Farm to School programming efforts in conjunction with multiple partners, serve as an advocate for local farmers, provide management and administrative oversight for Farm Direct projects and project staff, and represent the Farm Direct program and SFC in the community.
Success in this position will include the strengthening of relationships that efficiently and effectively expand on past Farm to School successes, increasing the number of local farmers connected with professional development and sales opportunities, continuation and expansion of innovative direct sales projects, and fulfillment of administrative and personnel oversight functions in an accurate and timely manner.
· Establish and maintain relationships with government agencies and with school and community partners to expand and improve Farm to School programming and policy support in the Austin area.
· Provide guidance and oversight of SFC’s Farm to School project, including local foods promotions, food systems engagement activities in area schools, and healthy school fundraisers.
· Connect farmers with professional development opportunities such as conferences and trainings, disaster relief support, grants and funding opportunities, etc.
· Provide direct oversight and support for the Farm to Work project, including interactions with farm and worksite partners, addressing administrative issues, and offering strategic guidance.
· Lead project planning, implementation and evaluation, ensuring efficient and effective delivery of services and use of organizational resources for the Farm Direct projects team.
· Provide administrative oversight and guidance for coordinators and associates within the Farm Direct projects team.
· Minimum 5 years of experience in local food systems programming, including program administration, project and personnel management, partnership building, and public policy.
· Familiarity with farm-to-school and other local food marketing and educational initiatives
· Deep understanding of and/or experience withsmall and mid-scale agriculture and an ability to connect with a diverse group of farmers, ranchers, and other food producers
· Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, with bilingual English and Spanish preferred
· Ability to lead a highly-functioning staff and collaborate with a diverse group of coworkers and community partners
· Attentive to details and strong aptitude for organization, record keeping, and evaluation
· Background in strategic planning, coalition building, visionary leadership, and analytic skills
· Strong skills in MS Office applications, including Excel, Word, and Outlook, and use of web-based applications
· Ability to initiate, prioritize, and coordinate tasks and projects and follow through to completion, or be flexible when priorities change
· Possess a strong work ethic and commitment to healthy, local food systems
· A sense of humor, patience and perseverance
· Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience required
SFC is an equal opportunity employer – women and people of color are encouraged to apply. This is a full-time position at 40 hours per week. The duties require a combination of office-based and community work. Sustainable Food Center offers an excellent work environment, competitive salaries and great benefits. The position is available starting August 1, 2016.
How To Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter in either MS Word or PDF format to FarmDirectManager@sustainablefoodcenter.org. Applications by email accepted until July 15, 2016. No phone calls accepted nor returned.