Join an energetic team that is passionate about building a better community, through food. You will help us achieve our goal of bringing a teaching garden to every school in Alabama.
As the Gardens 2 Schools (G2S) Program Director, you will lead all aspects of Druid City Garden Project’s standards-based food programs across our 7+ partner schools. You will design and deliver rigorous and innovative garden-based curriculum, while overseeing successful delivery of said curriculum by the rest of the Druid City Garden Project (DCGP) education team. You will oversee the day to day management of the program, including building and sustaining positive relationships with our partner schools, and you will be entrusted with guiding the vision of the program. The Program Director will also lead the G2S education team in developing and implementing Professional Development trainings for school teachers, overseeing our rigorous programmatic evaluation, and will lead the charge to integrate garden-based instruction into the daily activities at each of our partner schools.
This work requires a high degree of self-reliance, confidence and initiative both at the school-level and within the DCGP education team. A successful candidate must possess extraordinary professionalism, flexibility, intuitiveness and organization and communication skills. In addition, the G2S Program Director must enjoy working with our energetic, high performing team to develop original content that is relevant and effective in a public schools that serve a diverse array of students.
What You’ll Do:
- Oversee and manage G2S education staff
- Develop community buy-in at participating schools, including developing and monitoring schools’ sustainability plans, interacting with teachers and Principals, and creating excitement around garden-based instruction.
- Design and deliver professional development trainings for elementary teachers in garden-based learning at partner schools.
- Teach garden-based science and math lessons to K-5th graders at selected schools including DCGP’s business entrepreneurship program, Budding Entrepreneurs, using DCGP’s curriculum, adding additional lessons, as needed.
- Oversee the rigorous G2S programmatic evaluation.
- Oversee the G2S budget.
- Assist partner schools in maintaining vegetable gardens both during and after their active years of the program.
- Manage and oversee University of Alabama students and volunteers to achieve mission goals.
- Develop and maintain positive collaborations with community organizations and educational institutions in support of the program’s goals.
- Develop and implement educational programs that further serve the needs of our state.
What we look for:
- Passionate individuals who want to make a difference in our community
- Undergraduate degree in Education (preferred). Masters degree encouraged
- Leadership experience teaching in a classroom or leading outdoor education
- A positive attitude, self-direction and self-motivation
- Clear communicators
- Ability to effectively execute multiple projects and responsibilities concurrently
- Must be physically able to lift and carry 50lbs, stand on feet for 8 hours at a time, undergo the rigors that gardening requires, and be able to be outside for 8 hours a day.
- An understanding and desire to implement organic agricultural practices
- A desire to fulfill DCGP’s mission
Who we are:
Druid City Garden Project builds community through food.
We believe that access to fresh, affordable, and sustainably grown food is a universal right. We believe that our students learn best when they put their knowledge into practice. We believe that children can be just as excited over vegetables as they are over candy. We believe that school gardens can change eating habits, improve academic success, and make learning fun.
In our Gardens 2 Schools program, we train school communities on our highly effective garden-based curriculum that brings Course of Study standards into a real world environment. All of our lessons are hands-on and are designed to get kids excited about core subjects. After two years of intensive training, professional development support, and resources, schools take over the program and operate with minimal assistance from DCGP. Bringing excitement about garden-based instruction to the table, understanding the unique needs of teachers, and molding the G2S program to a specific school’s environment are critical to maintaining this program.
The Gardens 2 Schools program is currently operating in 7 schools in the Tuscaloosa area. In addition, we will be publishing our curriculum in summer, 2016 and rolling out new opportunities to bring this critical instruction to schools across our state.
We dream that, one day, every school in Alabama will have a teaching garden. We are looking for staff members who can actively help us achieve that.
Compensation: Compensation commensurate with experience. Full benefits package offered, including health insurance, company-matched retirement plan, and generous paid time off.
To apply: send a cover letter, resume, and contacts for 3 references to email@example.com.
Druid City Garden Project
Full-Time, Salaried Employee with Benefits
Application Deadline: May 1, 2016