The Volunteer and Education Coordinator supervises volunteers, leads on-farm educational programming, and provides direction, coordination, and consultation for all volunteer functions at Shalom Farms, Richmond, VA.
Manage communication and scheduling with volunteers and visiting groups With assistance from Farm Manager and Assistant Farm Manager, develop weekly and daily work plans based on the schedule of individual and group volunteers.
Lead educational programming including farm tours and lessons for visitors of all ages Manage and lead volunteer individuals and groups in completion of daily farm tasks, determining appropriate tasks based on volunteer age, skill level, group size, etc Perform or ensure entry of data pertaining to volunteer participation at the farm Help oversee implementation of a system for evaluation of the volunteer experience at the farm Conduct outreach for volunteer and educational programs as needed Work with fund development manager to utilize social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) as an outreach tool and to recognize volunteers and farm accomplishments Create and implement, with support from Executive Director and Farm Manager, new educational and volunteer programs at the farm Participate in general farm labor
- Loves meeting and working with new people
- Enjoys educating about food justice issues and sustainable agriculture
- Possesses strong and polished interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in highly stressful situations
- Creative, strategic and analytical thinker with the ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Shows excellent leadership and supervision skills in management of volunteers
- Demonstrates flexibility and comfort in working with diverse populations
- Willingness to work hard in difficult weather conditions
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Comfortable performing office tasks and proficient with Microsoft Office
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, with two or more years of experience in one or more of the following fields: education, sustainable agriculture, ministry, community health/public health, and/or social work.
- Experience working with diverse groups, including ability to reach across racial, ethnic, generational, socioeconomic, and faith lines.
- Supervisory and/or teaching experience strongly preferred
- Experience working on diversified, sustainable farm strongly preferred
Compensation commensurate with experience. Full health and dental benefits provided.
Please send cover letter, 2-3 references, and resume and/or CV to email@example.com