Georgia Organics is a dynamic nonprofit working to connect organic food from Georgia farms to Georgia families. The organization is currently seeking a full-time Farm to School Coordinator to work at its office in Atlanta. For more information, visit www.georgiaorganics.org.
Farm to School
Through our farm to school initiative, we work with key constituents within Pre-K-12, and forge alliances with school nutrition staff, educators, food producers, food processors and distributors, policy makers, and other community-based advocates on the local, state and regional levels. We think outside the school lunchbox by helping to inform and empower school districts, food producers and policy makers in our state to source local products for the lunch line, and to support those changes with food and garden-based education in the cafeteria, classroom and the community.
Description of Duties
The Farm to School Coordinator will work directly with and provide key support to the Farm to School Director to strengthen and expand farm to school programming in our state in Pre-K-12 grades. This job is based in Atlanta.
Duties are varied and will include, among others:
- Support growth of a statewide farm to school initiative in Georgia, including outreach to key stakeholders, meeting coordination, and data collection.
- Support a targeted expansion of farm to school and preschool programming in Georgia. Includes outreach to and training for food service professionals, school administrators, educators, community food advocates, farmers and food producers.
- Help create and deliver informative farm to school presentations and trainings for educators, school nutrition staff, farmers, and community members.
- Manage online communications and resource development.
- Execute and evaluate statewide campaigns.
- Assist with grant management and reporting, and assist with financial management.
- Support management of FoodCorps in Georgia.
- Travel in Atlanta, across Georgia and U.S., as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in education, community food systems, public health, urban/food planning, environmental/food policy, nutrition, or related field.
- Detailed-oriented and well organized; strong administrative skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of and passion for farm to school and food systems related topics.
- Comfortable conducting outreach to and engaging diverse groups of people including food service professionals, school administrators, educators, community food advocates, farmers and food producers.
- Self-motivated, hard-working, and dependable; ability to work independently and in a support role.
- Experience working with the public and interacting with a diverse range of people.
- Proficient with MS Office (Word, Excel, PPT) and database management.
- Must be willing/able to work occasional evenings and weekends, and travel to meetings or conferences around the state and country as needed.
- Capability of lifting and moving up to 30 lb office boxes.
- A commitment to sustainability and the environment.
Preferred but not required:
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience in education community food systems, public health, urban/food planning, environmental/food policy, nutrition, or related field.
- Experience with childcare settings and/or school food service.
- Experience with grant writing, grant management, financial oversight, and fundraising
- Experience or expertise with web-based tools and social media.
- Experience planning, implementing and evaluating trainings and workshops.
The Farm to School Coordinator is a full-time position working approximately 40 hours a week. Salary is $35,000-$40,000, based on experience and qualifications, and includes health insurance, retirement investment options and generous vacation.
Email resume and cover letter by October 1 to Emily Cumbie-Drake at email@example.com. Please include where you heard about this job opening in your cover letter, type “F2S Position” in the subject line of the email, and consider sending the cover letter and resume as one PDF. Georgia Organics is an equal opportunity employer.