Tricycle Gardens is a nonprofit organization with a mission to grow healthy food, healthy communities and a healthy local food system.
Tricycle Gardens is seeking a dynamic and energetic Urban Farm Manager to oversee the organization’s urban agriculture sites. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of organic and sustainable growing practices, season extension techniques, four season farming and enjoy sharing their knowledge with farm visitors, fellows, workforce development participants, students and volunteers. Experience farming in an urban environment is a plus.
Oversee all aspects of day-to-day farm operations, including crop planning, crop rotation, soil amendment, planting, pest control, weed management, crop harvest, season extension and distribution.
- Manage four season production and distribution.
- Manage the operations of four hoop houses.
- Work with Program Manager to manage compost operation.
- Work with Program Coordinator to manage greenhouse operation.
- Maintain, service, and care for farm tools and equipment.
- Work with Program Manager to maintain water catchment and irrigation systems.
- Work with Program Coordinator to maintain insectary, herb and flower gardens.
- Maintain a high standard of aesthetic for the farm.
- Advise supporting staff on ways to improve and optimize efficiency and productivity in all aforementioned areas.
- Prepare and implement organic growing plan that yields desirable produce, herbs and flowers for sale and educational programming year-round.
- Complete soil tests in fall and consult with the local extension office and agronomists to maintain soil health.
- Ensure farm activities adhere to safety regulations and standards.
- Work with Director to maintain financial, operational, production and volunteer records as appropriate.
- Coordinate product pricing.
- Manage harvests.
- Maintain detailed farm records, inventories, and databases related to crop production, rotation, and pounds of produce harvested.
- Work with staff and fellows to coordinate harvest and distribution of crops.
- Assist Program Coordinator in the management of the Four Season Farmers’ Market.
- Assist Program Manager train and manage farm interns and workforce development participants.
- Assist staff to supervise volunteers.
- Work with staff to conduct educational activities and tours for youth and adults.
- Participate in various educational programming and special events throughout the year.
- Participate in workdays and “all staff” activities, where Tricycle Gardens staff manage a large project, event or educational program or volunteer day.
- Be willing and able to lend a hand throughout the organization as needed.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- 3 - 5 years of farm management experience, preferably with an organic or sustainable farm.
- Competencies in sustainable, organic or biological agricultural practices.
- Large knowledge base or willingness to acquire a knowledge base in low or no-till agricultural methods.
- Experience supervising staff, interns and volunteers.
- Experience or willingness to work within a diverse community and with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Competency with small-scale agricultural machinery including chipper/shredder, two-wheeled hand tractor, tiller, and brush mower.
- Experience teaching children and adults in a farm or garden setting.
- Interest and familiarity with issues related to local food, food access, and sustainable agriculture, and an appreciation of the urban environment.
- Strong organizational and written/verbal communication skills.
- Sense of humor and joy for our work.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team that feels like a family.
How to Apply:
Tricycle Gardens is an equal opportunity employer and an open and affirming community. We seek candidates of diverse backgrounds. For consideration, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 20th. Thank you for your interest and please no phone calls.