Waverly Farms, LC seeks an assistant gardener for the 2016 season. Located near Richmond, VA on 235 acres of sustainable land, it is an integrated farm that grows vegetables without the use of artificial pesticides, herbicides, or other potentially harmful chemicals and raises freely ranging animals using Certified Organic feed. Farm is currently in the ninth year of operation.
The assistant gardener will be an integral component of the produce operation, including the successful operation of our summer and fall CSAs and the stand at a seasonal farmer’s market. Farm currently has three acres under cultivation for vegetable production. This past year featured their largest CSA enrollment yet with 80 summer and 40 fall members. The assistant gardener will work 40-50 hours over a five-day workweek and will report to the farm owners and the garden manager.
- Helping to map the use of garden space before the season begins and maintain records throughout the season
- Assisting the garden manager in directing apprentices, interns, and volunteers
- Maintaining customer relations
- Leading the garden team when the garden manager is away
- Seeding, soil preparation, and transplanting
- Ongoing maintenance of the garden including irrigation, weeding, and pest control
- Harvesting and packing vegetables
- Delivering CSA shares and participating in a weekly farmer’s market
Waverly Farms encourages individuals of all backgrounds, both personal and professional, to apply. However, the ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A strong sense of professionalism, integrity, and reliability
- At least one year’s experience with farm work
- An educational background in agriculture, horticulture, environmental science, or agricultural science, or relevant experience in the above fields
- Ability to multitask and communicate clearly
- Flexibility, friendliness, and receptiveness to constructive criticism and ideas
- Ability to work and make decisions independently
- Ability to repeatedly lift 50 lbs
- Willingness to work in all weather conditions
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle
Compensation is competitive and includes housing, farm food, and paid time off. A start date of December 2015 or January 2016 is desired, although other months will be considered as well. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.