Action Alert: Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP) Comment Period Deadline is JANUARY 20
The Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP) is a critical federal program that helps farmers manage their lands sustainably and the program is in trouble. The National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (NSAC) asks for anyone or any organization interested in resource conservation, sustainability, beginning farmers, small-acreage farmers, or fiscal responsibility to take a few minutes to:
- Prepare and submit comments to USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).
- Help spread the word to farmers about the comment period.
NSAC has developed several tools and resources to help you or your organization get the word out:
- CSP action toolkit — need the basics? Want to know where to start? Need ideas for outreach? You'll find issue basics and materials here!
- CSP comment template for organizations — here is a template you can customize! Filling it out won't take long at all.
- CSP farmer comment template — another short template. It can be found online here: http://sustainableagriculture.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015-CSP-Farmer-Template-Final.docx AND it is linked on NRCS' CSP landing page.
- CSP sample action alert — need ideas for where to start for an alert? Sample (with social media) is here!
- CSP landing page — NSAC launched a CSP landing page that has two main actions: 1.) asking folks to SUBMIT COMMENTS! and 2.) asking folks to sign a letter to Chief Weller that mirrors our asks. Most important action is to submit comments, as duplicate letters and petitions don't count for as much as individual comments. The letter is intended to help draw in folks who might not be engaged enough on the issue to submit comments but who still care.
- If you are working on any press outreach and want talking points, details, questions or help — email Sarah Hackney, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 202-547-5754.