On November 15th Tell Congress You Want A Farm Bill!
Can you imagine the impact we’ll have with thousands of calls flooding into Congress in only one day? We’ll be making a unified statement – one that Congress can’t ignore: We want a farm bill done this year, and we want it done right.
On November 15th make a call to your member of Congress and tell them you want a Farm Bill!
Talking points to help you prepare for your call:
It should INVEST IN THE FUTURE OF HEALTHY FARMS, FOOD & PEOPLE
- Harness the economic power of local and organic food and small businesses to strengthen rural and urban communities and create jobs
- Grow the next generation of American farmers by providing the tools, training, and access to capital that beginning and socially disadvantaged farmers and ranchers need to succeed
- Ensure access to fresh, healthy food for all – including those in need and in our schools
It should PROTECT OUR PRECIOUS AIR, SOIL & WATER
- Reward farmers for their environmental stewardship by fully funding farm conservation programs
- Do not raid long-term conservation efforts to pay for short-term disaster fixes
- Link federal crop insurance support to conservation of wetlands and fragile soils
It should REFORM FARM SUBSIDIES & LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD
- Eliminate wasteful direct payments
- Target support to working farm families by closing loopholes that benefit mega-farms and millionaire investors
- Cap farm and crop insurance subsidies to improve fiscal responsibility
“Hello, my name is _____. I’m a constituent and a voter (and tell ‘em if you’re a farmer!). I’m calling to ask Representative ______ to help get the 2012 Farm Bill finished, and to ensure continued funding of the beginning farmer rancher program and funding to support organic and sustainable research, a new infrastructure that will support the demand for a local and regional food system and core Farm Bill Conservation Programs. Thank you!”