Local Food Hub is a nonprofit organization that partners with Virginia farmers to increase community access to local food. It provides the support services, infrastructure, and market opportunities that connect people with food grown close to home. Based in Charlottesville, VA, Local Food Hub operates several food access programs for underserved populations in our region. The Food Access Fellow will work with the Food Access Coordinator and other staff to effectively plan and execute food access programs. The position is based near the Local Food Hub warehouse in Ivy, Virginia, just outside of Charlottesville.
The Food Access Fellow will help procure, sort, and deliver fresh, Virginia- grown items to a handful of distribution sites in Charlottesville, serving over 200 individuals and families. The Fellow will assist with distribution, including physical transportation and all coordination with distribution sites. The Fellow will also create and manage support materials and activities related to safe handling of fresh produce and healthy eating and cooking.
This is a seasonal position with no guarantee of long-term employment. Hours are Monday through Friday, generally 10:00 am – 6:00 p.m., May through October. The successful candidate will be extremely detail oriented, have a passion for food, farming, and healthy eating, and able to commit to the entire season (May through October).
- • Work with Food Access Coordinator to procure Virginia-grown items from Local Food Hub partner farms to fill weekly shares with a diversity of food and within budget.
- • Receive and sort products from farmers and accurately pack out bag shares for over 200 clients. Expertly load bag shares into distribution vehicle and deliver to food access sites throughout Charlottesville, maintaining the cold chain.
- • Oversee and manage the distribution of bag shares to individual clients (to be performed at food access partner sites and in conjunction with site manager).
- • Create support materials for clients, including digital and print, such as bag contents and farm sources, farmer profiles, recipe and cooking suggestions, safe handling instructions, etc. Participate in cooking demonstrations and other hands-on activities.
- • Understand and articulate organization’s mission, strategy, and programs.
- • Contribute to planning and execution of special events, as needed.
- • Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- • Strong written and oral communication
- • Strong interpersonal skills
- • Flexibility, self-motivation, and ability to exercise independent judgment
- • Valid driver’s license and access to a car required
- • Ability to lift up to 40 pounds repeatedly and ability to work in multiple temperature zones
- • Experience with agriculture and/or local food systems work a plus
- • Familiarity with fresh produce and simple food preparation a plus
Small stipend will be provided. Qualified candidates please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.