Hands On Nashville (HON) works to address critical issues facing the Middle Tennessee community through volunteer-centric programming. Annually, HON connects thousands of volunteers to service opportunities supporting area nonprofits as well as its programs in urban agriculture, home energy savings, youth leadership development and support of public education. Hands On Nashville challenges everyone to find a way to make a difference.
AmeriCorps Overview: As an AmeriCorps, you will be volunteering for a period of 1 year during which time you will receive a living allowance stipend, health benefits and training through the Corporation for National and Community Service. For more information on AmeriCorps visit: http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/im-ready-serve.
Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) Overview: Youth Volunteer Corps of Nashville, a program of Hands On Nashville, is one of nearly 30 YVC programs throughout the U.S. and Canada dedicating to changing the lives of youth through service. For over six years, YVC of Nashville has engaged youth from diverse backgrounds in service projects helping the community.
Hands On Nashville’s Urban Agriculture Program: Hands On Nashville works to address critical issues facing the Middle Tennessee community through volunteer-centric programming. By serving as a conduit for comprehensive education, partnerships & engagement, the Urban Agriculture Program connects individuals & communities with resources to navigate the food system to meet their unique needs. Our vision is that every resident in Nashville be able to grow food and understand its value!
- The Greenhouse Coordinator will assist in coordinating the construction of HON’s new greenhouse.
- The Greenhouse Coordinator will establish systems in HON’s new greenhouse.
- The greenhouse will be used to grow starts for HON’s Urban Agriculture Program that will be used at the Urban Farm and sold as a revenue generator for the program.
- The greenhouse will also produce a continually harvestable product such as micro-greens that will be part of an integrated experience for students to develop job-readiness skills at Glencliff High School.
- The Greenhouse Coordinator will work closely with the Urban Agriculture Program Manager and Urban Farm Coordinator to create systems and plans for ongoing student, volunteer, and staff roles in the greenhouse operations.
- Coordinate greenhouse construction with guidance from HON staff
- Establish procedures for greenhouse maintenance
- Establish procedures and timelines for farm start production
- Identify products that maximize the greenhouse through trials
- Work with Glencliff students and teachers to establish greenhouse operations documents and processes
- Create curriculum that integrates greenhouse tasks with job-readiness skills
- Maintain greenhouse operations including seeding, watering, harvesting, and cleaning
- Lead volunteers and students in greenhouse operations
- Work with Glencliff’s Life Skills students to perform basic greenhouse operations
- Document all greenhouse procedures and best practices
- Coordinate greenhouse operations with Urban Farm operations
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with potential customers for greenhouse products including chefs, other nonprofits, and/or farmer’s market administrators
- Determine market demand for potential greenhouse products
- Report on greenhouse operations including student and volunteer participation, production, and cash flows
- Manage operational budget for greenhouse assets and inventory
- Bachelor's Degree
- Greenhouse operations experience
- Works well independently and as part of a team
- Can analyze and plan long-term outcomes and systems
- Excited about leading youth
- Comfortable working with individuals possessing a range of disabilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Skills and enthusiasm for public relations
Position timeline: Full-time, One Year Term (approx. 1,700 total hours). Some evenings andweekends required. Applicants must be available to work from July 2015 through July 2016.
Job Type: VISTA/AmeriCorps
Contact Information and Procedure:
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Jason Strandquist Nashville, TN