Organization: Sustainable Food Center (SFC) cultivates a healthy community by strengthening the local food system and improving access to nutritious, affordable food. SFC's Grow Local program offers the resources and education to enable children and adults in Central Texas to grow their own food for their own health and well-being and the benefit of their families, their community, and the environment. We are looking for a dynamic, English-Spanish bilingual, organized individual to coordinate Grow Local’s classes and trainings and manage the Spread the Harvest program.
Job Description: The Grow Local Education Coordinator will oversee administration of Grow Local’s organic food gardening classes and garden leadership trainings, including the Citizen Gardener education and volunteering program, and will manage SFC’s Spread the Harvest gardening and food sharing program, which provides free gardening materials to low income Austin residents. Additionally, the GL Education Coordinator will help improve the accessibility and cultural relevancy of Grow Local services for culturally, linguistically, and socioeconomically diverse Austin residents.
- Coordinate scheduling and logistics for Basic Organic Gardening classes, Citizen Gardener classes, and classes at the SFC Teaching Garden, and for School and Community Garden Leadership trainings
- Manage Spread the Harvest program
- Promote of SFC education opportunities to Spread the Harvest participants and the Spread the Harvest program to SFC class participants
- Oversee and track Citizen Gardener volunteer hours
- Administrate Citizen Gardener Facebook page
- Plan Citizen Gardener graduation events
- Conduct outreach, material preparation, and follow-up for all Grow Local classes
- Coordinate Basic Organic Gardening and Citizen Gardener teacher trainings
- Help improve the accessibility and cultural relevancy of Grow Local services for culturally, linguistically, and socioeconomically diverse Austin residents
- Revise and update class materials in English and Spanish as needed
- Compile gardening information for Grow Local portion of weekly agency e-newsletter
- Bachelor of Arts or Sciences in a relevant field
- MUST be bilingual (English/Spanish). Excellent written and oral communication skills in both languages.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong time management and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects
- Strong fiscal management skills
- Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office (proficiency in Adobe InDesign strongly preferred)
- Knowledge and experience with food gardening, farm-to-school, and healthy cooking
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Reliable transportation
- Dedicated team-player who is culturally sensitive
- Dynamic personality with good sense of humor and appreciation for healthy, local food.
Compensation: Sustainable Food Center is an equal opportunity employer; women and people of color are encouraged to apply. This is a full-time (40 hours per week). Sustainable Food Center offers an excellent work environment, competitive salaries and great benefits.
To Apply: Please submit your resumé, a cover letter, three references, and a Spanish/English writing sample (1 page) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Grow Local Education Coordinator” in the subject line.
No phone calls, por favor.
Applications accepted until Thursday, July 3, 2014. Position start date is August 12, 2014.
To learn more about Sustainable Food Center, go to: www.sustainablefoodcenter.org