The farm is an enterprise of the Arc of Greater New Orleans and strives to provide meaningful employment to adults with intellectual disabilities while providing naturally grown produce to New Orleans area farmers markets, retail stores and restaurants. The Chalmette site is three years old and much of the farm is developed but there is still a need for someone with strong farm planning skills to develop new areas and projects.
The jobs requirements include but are not limited to:
· Supervising a crew of up to eight adults with disabilities
· Coordinating vegetable selections with farm manager
· Preparing, planting and maintaining approximately one acre of vegetables year round
· Harvesting and processing produce for restaurants, retail markets and two farmers markets per week
· Caring for many fruit trees including citrus, persimmon, pomegranate, fig, papaya and banana
· Maintaining landscaped beds around buildings, cutting grass and keeping the site clean and presentable
· Hosting workshops to educate the community about sustainable growing practices
The vintage Garden Farms is looking for someone who:
· Has a minimum of one year as manager or assistant manager of a diversified vegetable farm
· Has experience with organic growing methods
· Has knowledge of permaculture principles, crop rotation, cover cropping, agroforestry…
· Has patience to work with and teach adults with disabilities
· Is energetic and motivated to make this farm reach its full potential
Call Nicole or Kasey at (504) 837-5105 for more information.