NCAT a private non-profit corporation whose work includes nationally recognized projects in food, agriculture, and energy such as the ATTRA, the national sustainable agriculture information service and the LIHEAP Clearinghouse. The position will be located at the NCAT office in Jackson, Mississippi.
Qualification, Skills and Abilities: This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate who has a combination of education and experience in agriculture, communications, marketing, and food policy. The position requires the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree BA/BS in communications, marketing, agriculture, environmental studies plus a minimum of four years’ experience. The ideal candidate will be a self starter who can use creative means to advance NCAT’s mission of helping people by championing small-scale, local, and sustainable solutions to reduce poverty, promote healthy communities, and protect natural resources. The ideal candidate will have experience in leading collaborative efforts with diverse partners. Project development and project management experience would also be beneficial. Excellent communication skills, including public speaking, writing, editing and research skills are very important in this position. Some travel will be required.
The focus of NCAT’s Agriculture Specialist/Outreach Coordinator will be to:
- Increase the visibility and understanding of NCAT's mission and work in ethnically diverse and underserved communities in the Gulf States Region.
- Strengthen relationships with current partners, and initiate new partnerships and/or projects around agriculture education and other issues of mutual interest.
- Provide technical assistance to farmers and growers needing help with sustainable agriculture practices by responding to phone and email inquiries from farmers.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct NCAT outreach activities under the supervision of the Gulf States Regional Director in the Gulf States Region with a goal of increasing NCAT’s visibility in the region and engaging new clients for our agricultural projects. Outreach activities will include writing newsletters, press releases, workshop announcements, sustainable agriculture publications and providing workshops and trainings on sustainable agriculture topics at local and regional meetings and conferences.
- Recruit non-profit collaborators and partners for NCAT.
- Serve as a knowledgeable technical resource for NCAT agriculture specialists, program managers, and regional directors.
- Seek out opportunities to create a connection between NCAT and family farmers with a concentration in the U.S. Gulf Coast region.
- Plan and execute outreach activities that support NCAT projects, objectives and mission.
- Seek local, state and regional development opportunities.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary range is $30,000 to $40,000 depending on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include paid vacation and holidays, health, life and disability insurance, a cafeteria and 401(k) plan and a pleasant, professional office environment.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applications will be accepted through December 14, 2014, or until suitable candidates can be identified. Early applications are encouraged and applications will be considered as they are received. All persons interested in being considered for the position must submit a cover letter highlighting their experience and skills relevant to the listed qualifications, a current resume and a completed NCAT application form. Requests for an NCAT application form and inquires about the application process should be directed to Jerrid Burk. Incomplete applications or reference on the application to “see resume” will not be considered. Applicants can visit NCAT’s website at www.ncat.org for a gateway to websites and projects developed by NCAT staff. Send completed application materials to:
Jerrid Burk, NCAT Human Resource Specialist
P.O. Box 3838
Butte, MT 59702
NCAT values diversity and encourages minority and women applicants to apply. For additional information about NCAT please visit the website at www.ncat.org.
It is NCAT’s policy and organizational philosophy to ensure that all of our employment practices, including recruitment and hiring, are administered for all individuals without regard to race, sex, creed, color, national origin, age, religion, marital or veterans status, disability, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.