Florida Organic Growers and Verde Community Farm & Market will be hosting Growing Organic From the Ground Up: Techniques and Tips for South Florida Success, a farmer workshop on Tuesday, November 29th.
The workshop will take place from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Verde Community Farm & Market, 12690 SW 280th Street in Homestead.
- Discussions on organic certification and record keeping
- A farm tour focused on techniques for working with South Florida soil conditions without using chemical inputs.
- A discussion on cover crops
- A demonstration on making and using biochar with on-site waste material, including invasive exotic plants as biomass.
- A talk on the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) and how it relates to growers
Speakers are Chuck Lyons, Verde Community Farm & Market manager, Joe Pierce, Permaculture enthusiast and Jeff Wasielewski, M.S., Commercial Tropical Fruit Crops Extension Agent with the University of Florida/IFAS Miami-Dade County Extension.
The cost is $25 and includes coffee and lunch. Coffee is donated by Sweetwater Organic Coffee Company and lunch will be provided by Munch Thyme.